Hi friends… and happy holidays
Now, if you’ve been following this blog for a while… you know that Mike and I go a little crazy with our holiday card every year. What started out as something goofy to send to family members is now something that people ask us about all year… “so, how are you going to top last years?!” or… “we cant wait to get your holiday card, I’m sure it’ll be awesome!” So, we brainstorm what we’re going to do for months.
Here are some of our past cards…
This year… outta nowhere… “MIKE! I KNOW WHAT WE’RE GOING TO DO FOR OUR CHRISTMAS CARD!!!! …AN AWKWARD FAMILY PHOTO!” (For those who aren’t familiar with the awkward family photos website, you HAVE to click here. Be prepared to pee your pants laughing.)
He immediately loved the idea… and we started brainstorming.
I jokingly suggested to Mike that he should shave himself down to a mustache. “YES! I’LL DO IT!”
“Uhm… I wasn’t serious!”
You see, Mike has shaven off his facial hair only once since I’ve known him… and, if I’m being honest… I’m NOT a fan of a beardless Mike. Furthermore, growing it back to the state that it was in… that’ll take months. The hair on his face doesn’t grow super fast.
Mike took dedication to a whole new level.
On the day of the shoot… he was in the bathroom with the razor… “Mike, I don’t think you should do it. It’s not worth it!”
Ryan, on the other hand, disagreed. “Mike, you have to! It will make the card go from kinda funny to hilarious!”
Before Ryan could finish his sentence Mike had taken a huge chunk out of his beard.
By the time he was done, I knew Ryan and Mike were right… It was TOTALLY worth it! He looked RIDICULOUS!
While shooting this… well… we’ve not laughed this hard in months! My abs hurt the next day from laughing so hard!
Won’t lie… of all of our holiday cards, we think this is our best yet
I’ll shush and get to it!
The cover of our card.
Back. Notice the logo?That was my favorite touch.
Because the photos on the inside printed so small… here are a few of them a little larger for your viewing pleasure
Addison and August Rose (our goddaughter) had to get their own awkward family photo. Don’t worry, Ryan is holding August up from the back. It’s too bad that Addison is way too cute to be awkward.
For those who’ve asked:
- The clothes and shoes… we got those at a thrift store (except for my sweater… that’s Andrea’s moms. She wears it when visiting nursing homes because the residents think it’s pretty)
- The hand painted muslin background… that came from ebay.
- My nails are really that long… all natural. Don’t be mad.
- Mike’s hair and mustache… real. (I’m pretty good at Photoshop… but not THAT good!)
- The cameras, those are fancy film cameras from the 80′s.
- Of course I bought the glasses that have my prescription, why wouldn’t I?! I might start wearing them.
- That’s Ryan on the back. He helped art direct and he photographed it.
- Yes, I tried to process the photos to make them look like they were taken in the 80′s.
Hope your holidays have been perfect in every way
MERRRRRRRY MERRY FRIENDS!!!!!!
PS. we’re in Kansas City for the holidays… won’t be back until right before the New Year. Regularly scheduled blog posts will resume then